Posted in Built

Droid caller

One of my colleagues from the Rebel Legion had a group order of resin cast droid callers and I took one of them. As Susan and Reggie costume as Jawa, this could be a nice addition to their bandoliers…

First of all, I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the cast itself: not only there were a few bubbles (especially under the protruding parts at the top), but there is also a vertical line from top to bottom. I was kinda hoping these defects would disappear once the whole thing was painted…

I started by a simple coat of primer (you can also see the ANH medal that will be the subject of another post).

Then, a coat of glossy black. The texture of the “leather handle” (for lack of better word) was quite nice, and I wanted to give the impression that it was really wrapped in (bantha?) leather.

I proceeded with masking this part and gave a good silver spray to the metallic parts.

Started to look like something, but it was a bit “new” if you consider it should have spent a few years in the pockets of a Jawa in the desert…

Finally, I gave a bit of dry brushing with black acrylic paint (to avoid the shine), and ta-daaaa! Here is the finished piece.

I may want to add a bit of rust here and there, but I am quite happy with the result.

For those who would like to know, we still can see the vertical mold line… 

Advertisements

Author:

Originally from the North of France, I have great fun doing illustrations and drawing Nutons... happy Husband and Father of 3 teenage boys, we make things, props, and live a geek life in Singapore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s