Posted in Papa, Star Wars

Jedi outer tunic

Doing a Jedi outer tunic, I have always struggled with the “flare bottom” (or “skirt”). I have tried to follow a few tutorials, but the result never really matched my expectations (maybe I never managed to cut the pieces with the right measurements, and my sewing skills are not good enough to handle big projects…).

If you remember, a few years ago, my son wanted a pirate coat, and I accepted the challenge of doing one from scratch. After some research, I found a pattern copied from an original “Justaucorps” from 1750.

004

I was quite surprised at the simplicity of the pattern, and how beautifully the back of the coat would float, flare and wave. And I started to wonder if I could use this as a base for a OT. I needed to modify the pattern : first to overlap in the front, second to have a jedi collar, and finally, to have straight flaring sleeves.

005
once I was happy with the new pattern (I tried a mini version of it in a fabric scrap), I transferred the pattern, using a grid, to newspapers.

006
cut all the pieces. the fabric is a curtains/upholstery fabric, in 3yards width. the whole project took about 5 1/2 yard length.

007
and I did a zigzag on all borders to keep the fabric from unraveling.

008
started the assembly line:

the 2 parts of the back together…

009
then, the 2 front parts. I made sure everything was fitting.

The tunic is still long at this point, as I was not sure how to measure the length.
attached the sleeves:

013
Then, in the remaining fabric, I cut 4 strips for the tabards (width = shoulder + allowance for sewing, length was way too long, but I cut it later), one strip for the Obi (width = belt width + 2 inches + allowance for the seems), and one for the collar (width = about 3 inches + allowance for sewing).

014
I attached the collar around the neck and the front pieces.

At this stage, I cut the bottom straight (when the OT was worn), and did all the bottom seems, and the side of the front panels.

017

Obi and Tabards:

I always had problem with my previous costume, as the obi and tabards would not stay in place in a long troop. I therefore decided to fix these items as much as possible on this new one.

the Obi was very simple, I did it only one layered as I didnt want to add too much padding (and the heat in Singapore is terrible…).

019
For the tabards, I took the 4 strips I reserved, and started sewing them 2 by 2 around the edge (except one of the “small” sides).

020
I turned them inside out…

021
…iron them to make them flat…

022
…and I sew around the edge to give them a nice finish.

023
I attached the 2 tabards in the center of the back, until the shoulders. I sew the inside part or it, leaving the 2 outside parts floating. (please note that this is the same way Obi Wan wears his tabards. Feel free to add 2 portions below the Obi at the back if you want to!)

On the front, I folded and sewn the tabards to give the “Y” shape, and placed a button where they join to prevent them from moving when walking. all this will be hidden behind the Obi.

Finally, the Obi is sewn on top of the tabards, fixed in the middle of the back. it would go around the waist and be attached by a velcro to close when the OT is worn.

032
and Tadaaaaa!

Advertisements

Author:

Originally from the North of France, I have great fun doing illustrations and drawing Nutons... happy Husband and Father of 3 teenage boys, we make things, props, and live a geek life in Singapore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s